CONSTITUTION OF THE IUPHAR SECTION OF DRUG METABOLISM AND DRUG TRANSPORT
The IUPHAR Section of Drug Metabolism and Drug Transport is constituted under Section 4 of the statutes of IUPHAR.
- Aims and Functions of the IUPHAR Section of Drug Metabolism and Drug Transport
- To encourage international co-operation among pharmacologists and other scientists interested in the metabolism and physiological disposition of drugs and environmental chemicals.
- To sponsor international symposia, workshops, and collaborative research in the area of drug metabolism.
- To promote the use of innovative concepts and methodology in the area of drug metabolism.
- To encourage collaboration and communication with other regional and international organizations interested in furthering the development of the field of drug metabolism.
- To promote symposia, workshops, and other teaching programs with developing countries and to encourage the exchange of fellows and visiting lecturers between those countries and other countries.
- To encourage scientists from developing countries to obtain training in laboratories of leading investigators in other countries.
The membership of the IUPHAR Section of Drug Metabolism and Drug Transport will consist of pharmacologists, biochemists, and other scientists who are interested in the field of drug disposition and who adhere to the principles of IUPHAR. Potential members are encouraged to join their respective IUPHAR Societies. Qualified scientists who are not members of an IUPHAR Society may be accepted for membership in the Section of Drug Metabolism and Drug Transport after application to the Chairman and approval by a two-thirds majority of the Executive Board of the Section.
- Executive Board
- The officers of the Executive Board will be elected at a properly constituted general meeting of the Section normally held at each IUPHAR International Congress of Pharmacology. The Executive Board shall have the right to replace councillors, should any member leave the Board within a term for whatever cause.
- The Executive Board will consist of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, six Councillors, and the retiring Chairman (ex officio). Election shall be from a slate of nominees presented by the Executive Board. Additional nominations may also be initiated from the floor at the general meetings.
- The Executive Board may raise and maintain such funds as it deems necessary to carry out the Section’s activities.
- The Executive Board may establish and determine the membership of sub-committees concerned with special educational or research activities or scientific meetings. The Board may also discontinue any sub-committee.
- Members of the Executive Board will be elected for a period of four years and may be re-elected for a further four-year period. After completion of two consecutive four-year terms, members of the Executive Board other than the Secretary, Treasurer, and Vice Chairman are not eligible for further service on the Board until after intermission of at least four years.
- General Meeting
A General Meeting of the Section will normally take place at each IUPHAR International Congress of Pharmacology. The General Meeting will receive a report from the Executive Board and will elect the next Executive Board.
This constitution was implemented after approval by the IUPHAR Executive Committee, and ratification by the IUPHAR Council in General Assembly at the Sixteenth IUPHAR World Congress in Copenhagen, 2010. Amendments to the constitution may be made after approval by a two-thirds majority of the Executive Board of the Section and a two-thirds majority of the members of the Section on Drug Metabolism attending a general meeting at an IUPHAR International Congress of Pharmacology. Such amendments are subject to approval by the IUPHAR Executive Committee and by the IUPHAR Council in General Assembly.