2021 World Smart Medication Day Recap
IUPHAR held the first World Smart Medication Day on the 6 May 2021 to foster clinical pharmacology development and raise awareness on the safer and more effective use of drugs. Unsafe medication practices and medication errors are a leading cause of injury and avoidable harm in healthcare systems worldwide. Clinical Pharmacology is a key discipline for managing these drug-related problems.
2021 Theme: Bringing Students Together
International Students’ Poster Competition – More Info >
Countries were encouraged to carry out joint actions and activities to highlight the importance of safe and rational use of drugs such as: educational seminars/webinars, hospital events/stalls, grand rounds, communication and dissemination of the WHO Global Patient Safety Challenge material.
Other events and webinars that were held include:
- Webinar on Promoting Safer Use of Medicines in Nigeria & The WHO Medication Without Harm Initiative, 6th May, 2.00 pm WAT.
- Webinar on Medication Safety Curricula in Sri Lankan Medical Schools, 6th May, 9.30 am – 12.00 noon IST.
- SBFTE Webinar on Precision Medicine, 6th May, 3.00 pm – 5.00 pm BRT.
- SEFC Webinar on the Rational of Prescription (and Deprescription) and Safe Use of Drugs,6th May, 4.00 pm -5.30 pm CEST.
- CNPHARS World Smart Medication Day Programme, Anhui Medical University, 6th May, 9.00 am – 11.00 pm CST